Build an intelligent code editor with JavaFX and JDT

If you followed my blog in the last weeks you know that I’ve been working on a StyledText-Control which allows one to build a source-code editor with syntax highlighting, … .

With basic syntax highlighting you can already achieve a good results because you can highlight things like keywords, String-Literals, … . Still if you are used to e.g. the JDT sourcecode editor you know it e.g. highlights fields – this is called semantic highlighting and because it involves some time to run the compiler to find out semantic informations this is done in the background.

So I started and ported more parts of the Eclipse-Text and JDT-Infrastructure

screen

Highlighting is nice but a more important feature is auto-complete and so I ported more and more of the JDT-UI infrastructure and the result in shown in the video below which shows a prototype of an IDE I’m working on for my EclipseCon talk.

10 thoughts on “Build an intelligent code editor with JavaFX and JDT

1. John Steele March 13, 2013 / 12:33 pm

This is really awesome! Nice work Tom. I hope JavaFx gains traction and companies start using it in lieu of SWT for rendering.

• Tom Schindl March 13, 2013 / 12:48 pm

We (BestSolution.at) are working hard on this ;-)

2. Micael Pedrosa March 21, 2013 / 9:27 pm

I’m very interested in this. I see the repo at.bestsolution.efxclipse.styledtext but is there available the source for your small IDE. I want to see how styledtext is used, test examples.

• Nikita Lipsky October 3, 2013 / 10:42 am

Hi Tom,

I have downloaded the sources, but was not able to run the small IDE. Could you please share the steps to achive this?

• Tom Schindl October 3, 2013 / 11:07 am

I’ll try to update the project to the latest efxclipse builds

3. Ramazan Kunas March 26, 2013 / 11:06 am

Hi, ive tried to build the fx-ide from github with maven but got some errors. Can you please add an small guide to build it.