The marriage of GWT with Eclipse-Technologies

I’m currently on the track to explore GWT and started just this morning with it. The first thing I found missing is something like the Viewers-Concept from JFace.

I don’t want to learn new things if the one I’m familiar with would make my life much easier. JFace-Viewers is one of my main working areas in Eclipse-land. So I sat down and took a closer look and after 1 hour of work my GWT-code looks like this:

package at.bestsolution.eclipse.jface.example.client;

import java.util.ArrayList;

import org.gwtwidgets.client.util.SimpleDateParser;

import at.bestsolution.eclipse.jface.client.viewers.TreeViewer;
import at.bestsolution.eclipse.jface.example.client.model.Family;
import at.bestsolution.eclipse.jface.example.client.model.Person;
import at.bestsolution.eclipse.jface.example.client.ui.MyContentProvider;
import at.bestsolution.eclipse.jface.example.client.ui.MyLabelProvider;

import com.google.gwt.core.client.EntryPoint;
import com.google.gwt.user.client.ui.RootPanel;
import com.google.gwt.user.client.ui.Tree;

/**
  * Entry point classes define <code>onModuleLoad()</code>.
public class JFaceExampleApp implements EntryPoint {
  /**
    * This is the entry point method.
  public void onModuleLoad() {

fam = new Family("Hoppichler");
    p = new Person("Andreas",parser.parse("1977-11-06"),fam);
    p = new Person("Franzi",parser.parse("1978-11-02"),fam);

list.add(fam);
    return list;
}

And the respective Viewer-classes like this:

package at.bestsolution.eclipse.jface.example.client.ui;

public class MyLabelProvider implements ILabelProvider {
  private SimpleDateFormat format = new SimpleDateFormat("dd.MM.yyyy");

public String getText(Object element) {
    if( element instanceof Family ) {
      return ((Family)element).getName();
    } else if( element instanceof Person ) {
      return ((Person)element).getName() + " ("+format.format(((Person)element).getBirthday())+")";

return "";
}

Now you think this is cool? Because this was to trivial I thought I’ll have to go further and after ~ 6h I had ported the the core-parts from the JFace-Databinding-Framework to GWT! So my UI-Binding-Code looks like this now:

// ....
TextBox box = new TextBox();

TextBoxObservableValue targetValue = new TextBoxObservableValue(box,TextBoxObservableValue.Change);
IObservableValue modelValue = PEMFObservablesFactory.observeDetailValue(Realm.getDefault(), value, "id", String.class);

DataBindingContext ctx = new DataBindingContext();

public Object getFromType() {
    return null;

public Object getToType() {
    return null;
});
ctx.bindValue(targetValue, modelValue, targetToModel, modelToTarget);

The GWT-Compiler translates all into JS-Code and because there’s no Reflection-API available in this space I had to invent my own concept which I lend from EMF hence the name PEMF (for PoorEMF). Without question much of the Databinding-Framework is not working but at this stage I don’t mind. The good thing is that all those low-level modules use fairly only classes already available from GWT so porting the whole framework is only a matter of time.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in GWT. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The marriage of GWT with Eclipse-Technologies

1. pombreda says:

That is awesome. Would there be a way to make plug compatible?

2. Boris Bokowski says:

Excellent. So next time when someone asks why we restrict ourselves to CDC/Foundation 1.0, I can point to this!

3. Tom says:

Well I don’t know but when all those things are broken down to the Java-classes implemented by GWT or you reimplement those things it seems to be do able. Things that won’t work are the one like OSGi because there’s no class-loader, … in JavaScript.

4. Boris Bokowski says:

After thinking a bit more about this – how much would we have to change in the core data binding classes to make it (or a subset) work with GWT? Any chance we can do this with just one codebase, and in an API-compatible way?

5. Tom says:

having MVC + Databinding available through GWT would be cool and as discussed on IRC, I’m going to have a look at EMF 3.2 to see how this can also be compiled with GWT. This would make writing GWT applications a piece of cake šŸ™‚

6. Tom says:

Hi Boris, I think an API compatible way is possible but would mean that all current classes have to be moved into a package called “org.eclipse.core.databinding.client.*”
    and the current classes are delegating to these classes and casting converting the internal types to the one externally visible which might have a big performance impact.

I think the better way is that we make the current databinding (and classes it depends on in core and icu) compileable with GWT and then setup a automatic conversion tool which only has to replaces package names. This way we would have one code base to maintain because the GWT implementation is created with a set of automatic scripts.

The other possibility would be to findout how one could work-around the client-package limitation in GWT, but I think we can do this at any given point later on when the proof-of-concept implementation is ready.

7. dgirard says:

Just have a look on this article :
    “GWT Databinding”

8. Tom says:

Thanks for the Pointer, looks interesting and to some extent the same I’m doing with Databinding but the scope of Databinding is a bit wider than the framework describe there. The most interesting thing is the how the automatic wrapper generation works.

9. blog49 says:

Hi,
    This blog is really fantastic as I have gone through all the posts. I don’t know why the blog mater is not interested in posting some more relative information. I request the blog mater to add some more content to this great blog. I shall link from my blogs to this blog soon.
    I have come across a nice matrimonial site where you have no pay nothing for registration of your profiles and also for searching for apt profiles. This is an entire free service for every one at this moment. Please logon to http://www.matrifind.com and register your profile for free.
    Later come and search for suitable profiles. We are going to promote this new service heavily so millions will login to the site all will see your profile free. So act now and visit the site to register now.

10. Anonymous says:

This is a very nice article, I try to follow up for my example. OK, and I want to sugguest new best artical about GWT and Eclipse, That is Extjs-GWT on Eclipse which reduce development time.
    I like this example and try to use extjs-gwt in eclipse project.
    See more about Extjs-GWT on Eclipse by using Eclipse’s plugin.
    I think this Extjs-GWT article can help beginner to learn faster.