Improvement Properties-Editor

I’ve lately worked a lot with property files and what always bothered me was that there was no Outline-View shown for it like it is e.g. for the Java-Files.

Typically properties-File e.g. for translations are structured in a hierarchical way e.g. my files look like this:

ListView_FirstName=First Name
ListView_LastName=Last Name

Which means we could group the items in the outline a bit by using the _ as a group indicator which makes the editor and outline look like this:

I’ve uploaded the Eclipse Plugin to EclipseLabs and you can install it by pointing your Eclipse Plug-in Installer to

13 thoughts on “Improvement Properties-Editor

• Tom Schindl January 5, 2011 / 7:41 am

Thanks for the pointer – there’s a bug open against JDT which requests better support for things I’ve implemented and your editor as well. See It would be nice to at least get outline support to the default editor provided by JDT

1. Laurent Muller January 6, 2011 / 1:24 pm

Hello Tom,

A very nice code !

I have copied your code and updated a bit. The result is that You don’t need any more to extend the Properties editor. In place, I have created an adapter factory with code like this:

@SuppressWarnings({ "rawtypes" })
    public Object getAdapter(final Object adaptableObject, final Class adapterType) {
    if (adapterType == IContentOutlinePage.class && adaptableObject instanceof PropertiesFileEditor) {
    final PropertiesFileEditor editor = (PropertiesFileEditor) adaptableObject;
    return new PropertyContentOutlinePage(editor);
    return null;

If You want the source code, please send me a e-mail.

Best Regards

• Tom Schindl January 6, 2011 / 1:40 pm

Would you mind to create a patch and create a ticket at eclipselabs? I’m just working with JDT-Team to include the code into JDT so people get this feature by default in 3.7

• Tom Schindl January 6, 2011 / 2:00 pm

or simply upload your source code to EclipseLabs.

2. Laurent Muller January 6, 2011 / 3:47 pm

I do a lot of changes. Maybe is more simple to send You a zip file.

3. Laurent Muller January 7, 2011 / 6:34 am

I have uploaded the source code to EclipseLabs.

• Tom Schindl January 8, 2011 / 7:25 am

Uncheck the group by category

4. reda January 8, 2011 / 3:27 pm

Thank you Tom, I’ve successfully installed the plugin

But now, there is nothing in the outline view when I open properties file.

I’m using Eclipse helios on linux

• Tom Schindl January 8, 2011 / 3:32 pm

You need to right click on the file because currently I’ve subclassed the default editor.

5. reda January 8, 2011 / 4:13 pm

Hum, thanks. It is fine now.

You are using the _ as a group separator, what if I want to use a dot ?

Can we change this?